"Instant, Easy, Reusable Flood Control Products"
Official Water-Gate Flood Control Barriers
The easy-to-use, simple-to-deploy, flood control system that can replace hundreds, or even thousands, of ordinary sandbags. Because of its simple design, heavy-duty construction, and relatively light weight, it can be deployed quickly and with very little manpower. Think of it like rolling out and unfolding a long tarp, such as a pool cover. It's a specially designed fabric sewn into a shape that can use the weight of the water pushing down on the lower surface to hold back that same water and keep it under the control of the upper surface until it can later be released safely.
When flood waters are predicted and you see that they are imminent, you can start the process of deploying the Water-Gate flood control system. By way of contrast, you need far more lead time and manpower to deploy sandbags sufficient to control the same amount of flood water.
How Water-Gate works: It's Water Holding Back Water
The principle is simple: water accumulates inside the Water-Gate and exerts pressure on the bottom of the fabric, which keeps the Water-Gate in place. The speed or direction of the incoming water is not important, as it is the water pressure that causes the Water-Gate to open up. As water flows inside the Water-Gate, it causes the level to rise which exerts force forward and upward against the top fabric which then deploys the Water-Gate to its designed height. After the flood event is over, Water-Gate is then cleaned, dried, rolled, and stored, ready for the next deployment. When compared to sand bags, there is really no contest.
The surface of the Water-Gate on the ground is 4 times greater than its water retention height, which means it has 4 times more vertical thrust downward toward the ground, than horizontal thrust pushing forward. This allows for good adherence to the ground surface. In order for water to be able to hold back water on most surfaces such as asphalt or grass, a ratio of 2½ (horizontal) to 1 (vertical) is generally sufficient to ensure safety. Since Water-Gate has a ratio of 4 to 1, it is obviously very safe and the chance of it slipping along the ground from the forward pressure of the water is very slim. The wider the Water-Gate is, the less likely it is to slip. To conclude, the Water-Gate is 33% safer than required.
Watch a demonstration video:
- In the video, very few people are involved in the deployment of the Water-Gate system to create a reservoir in a creek.
- One or two people can easily deploy many feet of Water-Gate with only moderate effort.
- Far more material and manpower is needed to build a sandbag wall of the same length and height.
- Easy cleanup. Removing and discarding hundreds or thousands of sandbags requires additional labor and equipment.
- Water-Gate cleanup:
- Hose or power wash the fabric
- Hang it on a fence or clothesline to dry.
- Roll it back up and store it for the next event.
This may be several months or even several years away, but it will still be there, ready to use again.
Go to our Literature Page to download a Brochure or to see product comparison information.
Commercial Water-Gate Models:
Water-Gate WA Category
Designed to work in water currents and uneven surfaces.
Main characteristics of the WA Water-Gate:
- A- Polyester fabric coated with ultra-robust PVC for installations in water currents with uneven and unknown bottoms.
- B- Compact partitions allowing a free flap for pumping water and a secure access for crossing.
- C- Metal rings or polypropylene straps to facilitate certain installations requiring staking.
- D- Anti-mining flap to avoid soil erosion if water passes over the Water-Gate.
- E- Tear Resistant polypropylene straps for easy handling.
Available in heights from 15" to 60" and lengths from 25 to 50 feet. Multiple lengths can be connected to create a long flood protection Water-Gate.
Water-Gate WL Category
Designed for flood control and aqueduct breaches. Crates are available if needed. The price setting of the crates is calculated according to their specific characteristics.
Main characteristics of the WL water Water-Gate:
- A- Polyester fabric coated with ultra-robust and abrasion resistant PVC for Installations on all types of surfaces.
- B- Stretched partitions provide better adherence on smooth surfaces.
- C- Polypropylene straps to raise the Water-Gate extremities for particular installations.
- D- Polyester net ballasting filled with galvanized steel plates sewn to the Water-Gate.
- E- Tear Resistant polypropylene straps for easy handling.
Available in heights from 6" to 60" and lengths from 30 to 50 feet. Multiple lengths can be connected together to protect much longer areas.
Stop Even the Harshest of Toxic Chemical and Oil Spills
It is critically important to be able to quickly and effectively contain a toxic chemical or oil spill that can have a major negative impact on the environment. MegaSecur has developed a barrier that is able to resist many kinds of toxic chemicals. This "petrochemical" barrier can, in the majority of cases, withstand the most harmful chemical products making it ideal for a quick containment of toxic chemical and oil spills. This design incorporates vent openings at the rear base of the barrier so that the heavier water can be released while the barrier contains the floating chemical or oil spill, as in the first picture to the left. Every fire department should have at least one of these in stock at all times. Call our office for a quote. 800 554 1426
Using the Water-Plug system, municipal workers can quickly respond to overflowing cesspools and sewers. Simply open and place the Water-Plug on the cesspool or manhole opening to contain the overflow water. It is the water that holds back the water! Because of the conical form, the Water-Plug deploys automatically when water fills the system from the bottom up. This gives the First Responders nearly two feet more of rise before the water can spread onto the surrounding areas. (The hole in the side is just for illustration. There's not really a hole in the side of the product.)
A Diverter May Be Used to Control Overflow.
There are applications where you may need to control overflow or relieve pressure as the waters are rising, while still containing the majority of the flood water. This a perfect use for the Water-Gate Diverter. It is positioned at the top of a Water-Gate barrier so as the water rises, pushing the Water-Gate to be fully open and then continuing to rise to where it may even breach the top, the overflow can be controlled and diverted to a safe area.
Photos of Water-Gate in Use.
Here are some photos of Water-Gate in use in different situations. Many more uses are possible and whatever your project, whether it be for construction, prevention, or a first-responder application, we have the right Water-Gate for you. Every municipality and fire department should have Water-Gate on hand for emergencies.